No threat justified strengthening security around Pauline Marois on the evening of the Metropolis attack which resulted in a murder about ten meters from her, assured an official of the Sûreté du Québec.
• Read also: Metropolis attack: a hidden report with conclusions written in advance
• Read also: The Métropolis had been abandoned by the police on the evening of the attack
“[L’attaque par Richard Henry Bain] was an undetectable, unpredictable threat, we could not know, “repeated ex-lieutenant Daniel Rondeau, this Friday at the Montreal courthouse.
Mr. Rondeau, who was responsible for the protection and security of personalities, thus defended his work during the election night of September 4, 2012. Because, he repeated, he was not aware of any threat to the Parti Québécois. Thus, according to him, it was never necessary to monitor the rear entrance of the building.
However, as there was no policeman at this place, Richard Henry Bain was able to settle there, in his badly parked car, dressed in a bathrobe and a shower cap, without being bothered.
And when he walked to the front door with a long gun and a can of gas, no one could intercept him. He was thus able to kill technician Denis Blanchette and injure Dave Courage, before starting a fire.
Protection of the public
For four scene technicians traumatized by the tragedy, both the Montreal police and the SQ failed in their duty to protect the public. They claim $600,000 from them, and as the two police forces deny any wrongdoing, the case went to trial.
However, in cross-examination, ex-Lieutenant Rondeau acknowledged that the police had the role of protecting the public. Questioned by M.and Virginie Dufresne-Lemire, he then recognized that a visible police presence helped prevent crimes.
And that if a policeman had been posted behind the Metropolis, he would “perhaps” have detected Richard Henry Bain.
“There are plenty of badly parked vehicles in Montreal,” however tempered the witness.
Photo Chantal Poirier
Me Virginie Dufresne-Lemire
He then repeated that he had not been made aware of any threats against Pauline Marois on the day of the attack. And if there had finally been six, he learned it only afterwards, and he never thought it necessary to know the details.
He also affirmed under oath that he was not aware of people who could have had something against Mr.me Marois because she supported the students, or because she had mentioned the Charter of Values.
“I don’t remember that,” he said, just as he doesn’t remember people being upset that a woman became prime minister.
As for the people who are against the sovereignists, the ex-lieutenant said that he “did not know”.
The trial, before Judge Philippe Bélanger, continues next week.