Rebound in the trial of the Metropolis attack: the judge on Wednesday summoned the Sûreté du Québec (SQ) to shed light on the six threats made against Pauline Marois on election day in 2012. None of the nine SQ police officers questioned at the trial could not identify these threats yet recorded in a secret report, the judge is surprised.
Posted yesterday at 12:21 p.m.
“Without blaming any of these witnesses or questioning their testimony, it seems surprising that no one was able to enlighten the Tribunal about the threats in question, which are presumably documented or otherwise reduced to writing. in the SQ file. The evidence thus seems incomplete, ”concluded Judge Philippe Bélanger, Wednesday morning, at the Montreal courthouse.
Such a reopening of the investigation is unusual, as the parties had completed the presentation of evidence and were preparing for the pleadings which were to take place next week. “Potential delays must give way to the search for the truth,” insisted the Superior Court judge.
The existence of these six threats against Pauline Marois, on September 4, 2012, was revealed to the public during the trial thanks to the “executive report” of the SQ on the “political” attack on the Metropolis. The lawyers of the Attorney General of Quebec, who represents the SQ, have done everything to hide this report hidden from the public for 10 years. Judge Bélanger finally authorized its introduction into evidence. The conclusions of the report spare the SQ.
The report briefly mentions six threats made against Pauline Marois “between 4:38 p.m. and 8:32 p.m. following the partial unveiling of the election results”, a few hours before Richard Henry Bain opened fire on stage technicians behind the Métropolis during the victorious rally of the Parti Québécois. Denis Blanchette died instantly and Dave Courage was seriously injured.
However, the report does not specify the nature of these threats examined “promptly”. Even more surprising, no witness at the trial, even the author of the report, Captain Louis Bergeron, remembered these threats. Ditto for the person responsible for the report, Denis Rioux, who however said he had been informed by the intelligence service of the SQ that the threats had been the subject of investigations.
The head of the SQ intelligence service, Dominique Langelier, meanwhile affirmed under oath that he had knowledge of these threats only in 2018 as part of the trial. It should be noted that Denis Rioux, head of the Directorate for the protection of persons and infrastructures of the SQ, admitted to having had the conclusions of the report dictated to him by the deputy director general of the SQ, Jocelyn Latulippe.
“What are the six threats in question? »
These threats are “relevant[s] for “risk assessment” on the evening of the attack, according to the judge. Indeed, the four technicians who are suing the police report the deficient security outside the Metropolis to claim damages. No police guarded the back of the theater, according to many witnesses.
Thus, Judge Bélanger ordered the Attorney General of Quebec to respond in writing to the following three questions: “What are the six threats in question? », « By whom were they investigated? and “To whom were they communicated?” »
“This information could prove to be relevant to the issue of the alleged fault and to the defense put forward by the SQ and the [Service de police de la Ville de Montréal] “says the judge.
In the eyes of the judge, it is “clearly preferable” to have “all the evidence” surrounding the threats to render judgment, rather than to draw “inferences” from the content of the executive report.
” Sticks in the wheels ”
The SQ even initially denied the existence of this report, then claimed to be unable to find its authors, recalled Tuesday the lawyer of the applicants, Mrs.and Virginie Dufresne-Lemire.
“Since the beginning, we have had obstacles in the way of understanding what happened. It’s amazing how much has happened and is still happening. [La SQ] shares information only in small amounts. It is quite clear that these threats are an important element, ”said Mr.and Dufresne-Lemire, Tuesday afternoon, during a debate on this question.
I’m surprised that the two most senior security officials at the SQ didn’t check [au sujet de ces menaces]. From September 4, it’s as if it no longer exists! No one has given feedback! »,
Mand Virginie Dufresne-Lemire, plaintiffs’ lawyer
On Tuesday, the lawyer for the Attorney General of Quebec, Mr.and Julien Bernard, insisted on the long potential delays of a reopening of investigation. “We’re going to have to do a lot of checking,” he complained. The lawyer for the City of Montreal, Mr.and Pierre-Yves Boisvert, for his part denounced the start of a “new trial” on the threats.
The plaintiffs’ lawyer indicated Wednesday morning that she intended to seek higher sums in damages. The four survivors of the attack – Guillaume Parisien, Jonathan Dubé, Gaël Ghiringhelli and Audrey Dulong-Bérubé – each claimed $125,000, plus $100,000 in punitive damages.
The parties will return next Monday to the courthouse for the rest of the case.