End of mandatory mask | Quebec is “elsewhere in terms of protection”, says Dubé




À l’aube de la fin du port du masque obligatoire dans les lieux publics, dès ce samedi, le ministre de la Santé Christian Dubé n’exclut toujours pas de le réimposer en cas de septième vague de COVID-19. Mais il prévient que le Québec est maintenant « ailleurs en termes de protection » contre la pandémie.

Publié à 13h20

Henri Ouellette-Vézina

Henri Ouellette-Vézina
La Presse

« Je pense qu’on est ailleurs en termes de protection de la pandémie. Je pense que les variants ont changé aussi », a-t-il lancé vendredi, en marge d’une conférence de presse à Montréal, promettant toutefois que la Santé publique surveillera la situation « de très près ».

Il affirme que le masque a jusqu’ici offert une « protection importante » aux Québécois, mais que la connaissance scientifique « de tous les facteurs qui contribuent à la contamination » a aussi évolué largement dans la province et dans le monde.

« Si c’était nécessaire de recommander [le retour du masque obligatoire], that would be the right thing to do. But we’re not here right now. I want to tell you: let’s enjoy the summer a little, and the good news. We went through a very difficult time, ”he illustrated.

Mr. Dubé at the same time reiterated that as of Saturday, we will have to collectively “trust Quebecers”. “We got there. And it is very good news that we are able to pass this stage. On the other hand, we want to do it with respect for personal choices, ”recalled the minister, thus echoing the words of the acting national director of public health, Dr.r Luc Boileau, earlier this week.

Quebec has repeatedly called in recent days for respect and calm, hammering that people who would like to keep the mask to operate a certain “transition period” have every right to do so. “There is still a reflex that we have had for two years to have a mask with us to get out of the car, go to the grocery store,” said the minister.

“The virus is still there, we can see it. There are still 25 to 30 deaths today that are linked to COVID-19. Yes there is an improvement, but it is still there, the virus”, insisted Christian Dubé again, who also intends to continue to hide “in certain situations” where he will feel “more comfortable with the protection” of the cover. -face.

To date, Quebec continues to observe a strong downward trend in the other indicators. On Friday, the province reported a drop of 67 hospitalizations. The 1,754 people currently hospitalized represent a decline of 15% over one week. In intensive care, the 59 patients represent a decrease of 2% over one week.

Leave a Comment