Our food choices are shifting towards more plant-based food. But stopping eating meat and fish cannot be improvised, it is important to reorganize your diet to avoid deficiencies.
“Average individual meat consumption has been falling in Belgium for several years. This evolution has various reasons, including ecological, philosophical, economic, etc. There are different feeding methods known as vegetarian that range from (pesco-)lacto-ovo vegetarianism to veganism. These changes in behavior towards a form of vegetarianism present environmental benefits (reduction of the carbon footprint, biodiversity, etc.). They can also exercise effects on our health positive by reducing the occurrence of certain diseases (obesity, diabetes, cardiovascular diseases, certain cancers) but also expose foreseeable risks and therefore potentially avoidable deficiency in essential nutrients ”explains the Superior Health Council. The more a diet is restricted, the greater the risk of a deficit. Without forgetting that according to the ages of life, the nutritional needs are important and require a diversified diet.
What to monitor?
– The proteins : their biological quality is lower in plants. Combine protein sources (dairy, eggs, legumes, nuts, seeds, etc.);
– Omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA : not consuming fish, seafood and eggs leads to a lower intake. To remedy this, it is necessary to consume eggs enriched in omega-3, it is also possible to consume oils rich in LNA (such as linseed, rapeseed, walnut oil), because from this fatty acid, the body will be able to synthesize fatty acids;
– Calcium and vitamin D This shouldn’t be a problem if you are lacto-(ovo) vegetarian and consume dairy products regularly. Those who do not consume dairy products should be sure to eat vegetables and oleaginous fruits rich in calcium, water rich in calcium, fortified products. In Belgium, we lack sunshine, and our body lacks vitamin D. Consider taking vitamin D food supplements;
– Vitamin B12 : it is only found in foods of animal origin. It is therefore essential to consume fortified foods and / or food supplements;
– Zinc : we find more in products of animal than vegetable origin: to compensate for this, eat whole grains, legumes, nuts and oilseeds;
– iodine : it is found in bread prepared with iodized salt, and in iodized table salt.
Help yourself with nutritional supplements
Diets with little or no animal products often involve the use of new targeted vitamin complexes. Their formulation will preferably be vegan and contain the nutrients particularly present in foodstuffs of animal origin. Vista Vegetabs contains the most important vitamins and minerals that help reduce fatigue (vitamins B2, B12, C, iron) and support the immune system (vitamins D, B12, C, iron, zinc and selenium) in a formula without a single ingredient of animal origin, neither in the active principles nor in the excipients. Even the vitamin D present in Vista Vegatabs is of plant origin. Vista Vegetabs is therefore perfectly suited to people who preferentially or exclusively consume foods of plant origin.
Read also :
Suplibox, health in a box!
A new exclusive skincare brand arrives in Belgium
10 tips for healthy hair